Sunday, October 12, 2008

Best Apple Orchard!

I have been to several apple orchards over the years and I finally found one that I want to return to year after year! Fall Harvest Orchard, in Delano, MN. Now getting there is an adventure in itself (especially now with the construction), it takes about 45 minutes from Minneapolis, but it is so worth it. Plus, I still love the road trips and you know you are on a road trip when the local gas station in the area has this out front:

I think the thing I love most about this Orchard are all the chickens and goats...

You get to pick your own apples ($1/pound, that is a bargain if you ask me!), but you also get to be a part of the farm. They have daily egg pickings (and you can buy the result in the store), along with a chance to visit with animals I don't interact with in my daily life! My only complaint is that the grill only sells things like soda and nachos. What about slices of apple pie? Oh well, this just means I need to buy more apples and make my own apple desserts!

A new neighbor to this orchard is a winery! Woodland Hill Winery I was obliged to stop, of course. The tastings are $3 and due to a number of wines being sold out we had 7 we could taste. We were able to get samples of the whites and reds, luckily. The apple wines (made from the apples at Fall Harvest Orchard and Apple Jack Orchard) were my favorite, far and away. The semi-dry apple is dangerous! Tastes just like cider. The sweet apple wine they served warm, with brown sugar and a cinnamon stick. WOW! I left with a bottle of both.

Here is an applesauce recipe I made today:

6 medium apples; peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water

Place apples in a large saucepan. Add lemon juice and water. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, then on low for another 10 minutes, or until apples are soft. Mash with a potato masher.

That is it! It was so easy. And if you like sweet apple sauce, you can add:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

No comments: