Monday, February 7, 2011

Ireland: February 2011 (day 0 and 1)

If I could find an air ticket for $20 I would buy it just for the chance to sit in the Surdyk's Flights bar again. There was not a soul at the MSP airport on Saturday afternoon (odd) and we were through security in 10 minutes, with an hour+ to kill. Hello, "small bubbles" wine flight and pretzel! Our first awkward interaction when I asked the waiter if we ordered at the table and he said yes and just walked away. Um, ok.

Terminal 5 at Chicago O'Hare, we are not friends. A 2 hour lay over and you don't have a restaurant for me? Just fast food and a bar that sells Bud Light for $8.25. And just our luck to discover that the food was only on the other side of security we just went through.

Finally seated in the plane for the ultimate destination!! I love in seat movies. Watched "Never Let Me Go" til it was time to get some sleep.........

We landed! And we found our way to the car rental without too much confusion. Who bet I would break the car in 10 minutes? You win! The curbs here are deadly and I forgot the bulk of the car is to my left, not my right. Whoops. Although I don't believe the amount of hub cap damage is all me, all 4 are pretty trashed. But thankfully it is now parked safely underground til tomorrow morn.

Lots are walking in Dublin. The shops were still closed when we started out, nothing opens til noon on Sundays. But we wandered til we found a pub to have lunch at, a hunk of Brie cheese on toasted bread is pretty tasty! Then the rain and wind got to be too much and we did the most touristy thing we could, jumped on city tour bus.


Good decision, it brought us right to the Guinness tour! The top floor observation area is amazing, views of Dublin as far as the eye can see.

We also hopped off the tour bus to get a better look at Christ Church Cathedral, which was stunning.

Three and half of sleep on the plane and endless walking the next day meant an early night....

1 comment:

Jen said...

Glad you guys got there safe. So--it is true what they say about the car rental insurance! Crazy. Brian came over for superbowl last night. He had the opportunity to hang out with christian's whole family including aunt and grandma! It was fun. It is abouts to get freaky cold here, so I hope you are enjoying missing it. bye!